Help! I Need to Report Neglect!
(A summary from North Horse, for full article click here.)
Neglect: What Do You Do?!
If you see an animal being actively abused (beaten, locked in a hot car, etc) CALL THE POLICE!
If you are seeing ongoing neglect which is not immediately dangerous, do the following:
- Resolve to do something
- Make it your problem
- Don’t get angry, get information
- Reach out
- Talk to the owners
- Build trust so you can inquire about the animal(s) in question
- It might not be active neglect
- The owner might just not be aware of the neglect or may be ignorant on how to care for animals
- Known when NOT to help
- Do not put yourself in danger
- Keep your friends/family informed and/or have someone come with you
- Do not handle sick or aggressive animals
- Do not become an enabler for the owner
- Work with authorities to help
- Be persistent
- Give them a lot of information & proof (if possible)
- Report other illegal activity happening on the property (when applies)
- If the police aren’t helping, work with Humane Societies & Rescues
- NOTE: we do NOT have any legal authority to remove neglected animals from their owners without them being surrendered to us.
- If all else fails, get the media on it
- Talk to your local news
- Post about it on Social Media websites
- Get the community involved
- State only FACTS so that you don’t get accused of libel/slander
- Lastly, know the law